Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Remembering Columbine

I can still remember even after 11 years where I was.  Our church's Missions pastor and I were just getting done with a meeting about the possibility of our church youth group going to Poland when were saw at least 10 Police cars and an armor truck speeding down Wadsworth. (We were less than a mile from the school.)  We got back to the church and saw that every face in the office was white with shock.  "What happened?" I asked.  "There is an attack on Columbine High School." the secretary said.  The next several days felt like a movie.

That was then.  Today is the first day after the official 8 days of mourning for Poland.  Again, 9 days ago, I felt like I was living in a movie.  Was is really happening?  Where is God in all of this?

God was right beside me the whole time in both tragedies.  He did not go anywhere.  Even when my emotions were accusing Him of leaving, He was there.  I just was not looking for Him in the place He was, right beside me.

How do you process through tragedy.  One of two ways, you either step closer to the Creator or step away.  I have chosen to step closer.  

If there was anything positive that came out of Columbine for me, it is the fact that my Trust in God has grown.  He saw me through that and all of the stress that it brought in my life and the lives of our students and families and today, He sees me through every day stress here in Poland.

Please continue to pray for Poland and that God's Glory will be shown through out this country!  There pockets of believers popping up where they are seeking God and praying for their country more than ever before.  Maybe this tragedy is a catalyst for a revival in Poland!

No comments: