Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I Believe In God the Father, Creator of heaving and earth. . . . Jesus Christ . . . was crucified, died, and was buried.



Our church’s youth group this school year with learning the Apostle’s Creed. This week was the part [Christ] “was crucified, dead and buried.” These kids know all of the data about Jesus dying for their sins, but have they felt it? Tonight I found out that they really have not. I darkened the room and then put on the soundtrack to “The Mission” and read a story I wrote using Lee Storbel’s “Case for Christ”. I was very blunt and honest about the brutality of Christ’s death. They were in mental shock. I am not sure if they had ever took time out to really FEEL the sacrifice Jesus made for each one of them. Silence, eyes closed, and even an anguished expressions were the reactions. I was amazed how deeply these “kids” felt the story.

After a few moments, I turned the lights on and gave each a large piece of paper, crayons, markers and pens. “Take the next thirty minutes and respond to what you just heard. What do you feel? What is coming from your heart?” And they DID! In song, poem, art and scribbles. We then closed our time with thanking Jesus for coming down to earth for our sin and to the Father for sending His one Son. It was a wonderful evening. I like being a small group leader again!


Next week: Resurrection: Fact or Fiction!