Monday, January 18, 2010

A Day of Travel and the iPhone that wanted to stay in Denver!

My day started yesterday as I boarded Lufthansa headed to Frankfurt, Germany and then on to Katowice.  Mom took me and we did a last minute dash to UPS to get the shipment that was accidentally rejected, but we did not get it in time.   Mom and I then went to DIA and ended up ring shopping.  I have NEVER shopped for rings with my mom before.  It was lots of fun and we both got a ring for under $25.  The experience with my mom was worth the money!  I love my ring too!

Now for the stress of the trip:  Yes, my bag was WAY over poundage.  I don't know why, I really did not get much. . .  yeah, right!  Well, mom was saving up for such a time and she graciously paid for my extra luggage weight.  Thanks mom!

I got on the plane and just as we started taxiing to the runway, I noticed that I did not have my iPhone anymore!  I was panicked! Did someone take it?  Did it slip out of my bag?  Where did it go?   Good news. . . I had two seats to myself the whole trip!  It was nice to spread out for 9 1/2 hours.  I got to watch "Fame", "Life Happens", and "Harry Potter. . . "  Food was okay, and the service was great!  I really like this airline. 

I got off and had to walk for 30 minutes to the terminal to find wifi to see if I could set my iPhone off.  I found a Starbucks, but did not partake. . . I know, stupid, but I want to sleep tonight!  I had to pay for wifi, but it was worth it because I found out via Erin my friend in Poland that DIA found my phone.  They called her (at 3:30 a.m.).  Why?  I think it is because it was God's way of making sure I knew it was okay.

After my hour was up for internet access, I had to go through two securities and passport controls . . . I get to go through another one too before the day is up. 

I went to McDonalds and tried a German special hamburger . . . burger, beacon, hash brown and this cheese sauce that tastes like mayonnaise, but they said it is not.  I only got through 1/2 before I felt like I would gag on it. . . note to self . . . never let a German lady tell you what is good at Mckie D's!

So I sit here now, waiting until 9:25 pm  (it is currently 2:30 pm) hoping that the people who are using the only outlet in the whole restaurant will leave sometime before my battery is all used up. 

I am spending this time re-working my website! 
6 p.m. - I fell asleep with my head on the table at Mc Donald's.  I have been told that my gate has been changed so I have to go through a new security since it is not in the same "hall". 

7 p.m. - Information was incorrect.  I had to go to the other "hall".  Security again.

8 p.m. - Found my gate but you cannot go to it and there are no chairs to sit.  So I went from gate to gate until the gate attendant kicked me out of the sitting area of each gate.  I will NOT go through security again.

9:50 p.m.  - On the plane, fell asleep and woke up to the feeling of the plane landing. . . what an unsettling feeling!

11:25 p.m. - My wonderful neighbors came to pick me up.  SNOW, SNOW, SNOW!  COLD! COLD! COLD!

1 a.m. - Finally get into bed!  Whahoo! 

5 a.m. - Wake up!  Dang, I hate JETLAG!!!

Thanks to my mom and Matt Mullens, I am getting my phone this week!! 


Chris and Ashley said...

International travel is never boring, is it? Glad to hear you're getting your iPhone back.

They do the corn and ketchup thing on pizza here, too. What is the deal? :0)

Jen said...

Thanks for taking us on your trip, Alice. I used to love that part of a trip -- not so much anymore. Glad you're home safe and sound. I've been experiencing the 5/6am jet lag wake, too. Don't tell anyone, but I'm kind of enjoying it.