Monday, March 17, 2008

Conversations . . .

One of my students asked me about the Bible the other day. We were looking at a religious calendar since Easter is next week. I have a Catholic study Bible and it amazed her. She has a Bible, but what do you need a study Bible for? You don't really study it, right?

Our conversation when something like this:

"Do you study the Bible in your religious class?" I asked.
"No, only about religion." she answered.
"How do you know what the Bible says about your religion then?"
"I don't know."
"Would you like to study the Bible?" I asked.
"Hmmm. . . maybe. I don't know. Yes, that would be interesting." she smiled. I am not sure she wants to, but I will gently ask again soon.

We looked up some interesting things in that Bible and I saw interest in her eyes. We will talk again soon. :)

Another conversation I have had in the past few weeks was more about faith and religion and the difference. My conversations are getting deeper with this friend. I am sensing that she is on the brink of understanding the difference and may understand it now, but does not know it. For many Poles, following Christ is not a one time event, but a journey over many days, months and sometime even years. When you are so close to the truth, sometimes it is hart to see between all of the lies that surround it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alice,

Although I miss you very much I guess this is another reason you are there. Can you believe it is Easter this week. I love you and miss you.

Love,
Your Bro

Unknown said...

Yay Alice! You're back to blogging! It was great to read these last two updates...praise God for this conversation with your friend, and praise God for sending you to Katowice to have that conversation!

Happy Easter!

Love, Connie

Crystal said...

"For many Poles, following Christ is not a one time event, but a journey over many days, months and sometime even years." More and more I am finding this to be true in America, as well.

How exciting that you are having these conversations. I'm praying for your friend.