Wednesday, January 05, 2005

A New Year With a New Appreciation of God

Happy New Year! Another year has come and gone and this year will be one of great change for me. As I look at everything that will happen this year, I see all that will happen and everything that I need to do in order to be ready to move to Poland and know that I will be able to do it only with God’s help and strength.

I spent the week between Christmas and New Year's up in the beautiful Rocky Mountains near Rabbit Ears Pass with my brother and two dear friends. Our week was full of spending some time being together while snowmobiling, watching movies and playing X-Box (well my brother and Chuck played X-box). I am trying to "rev" my engines up for what will need to happen this next month and a half. I have a lot of support to raise and I am not quite sure how long it will take me to get to my goal. God knows and I trust in Him.

The week before Christmas, I had a conference call with my teammates in Poland and it made me “homesick” for them and for Poland. I want to be there NOW! I know that life in Poland will be difficult at times and I may even question if it is really worth the difficulties. I can do nothing but answer His call! As the apostle Paul says, “for me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.” My life will be only half lived if I do not go where my heart and my God is leading me.

I have just finished reading A.W. Tozer’s The Knowledge of the Holy and was blown away by how I have become complacent in my attitude towards WHO God. I love the God I serve and yet I have allowed the culture of this country to dumb down the reality of His Holiness. I have seen God to be One who loves me and yet I must question if my love for him both respects and honors Him because He is God, period. My admission of this is humbling, but I hope that through it, I can see that the only think I can do is fall on my knees, lift my hands to heaven and cry, “Abba, Father!” I allow Him to be God, with no strings attached.

God is life’s greatest mystery that we humans try to explain away. Through our lack of wonder, we have taken the very God who created the earth and the universe and replaced Him with our intellect and science. There are two kinds of faith, Tozer says. The first is faith in the ever presence all perfect God who created everything. The second being faith in the creation of nature, which is FULL of mutations and mistakes. I ask, which one is worthy to put one’s faith in? There is no middle ground with this. One is faith in the perfect and one is faith in the fallible. I choose to put my faith in the ever perfect and present God.

So as I return to Denver, I look at my view of God and I look forward to changing it and deepening my understanding of the wonder and mystery of the Creator of the universe and man.

I had my first mission committee meeting tonight where I was able to update the church’s mission board on my journey to Poland. It went well and I look back and wonder why I was so nervous about speaking to them. God was there and as I drove to the location, God gave me a peace and gave me the words to share my passion for Poland. It was good and once again god was gracious and smiled upon me.


If you would like to help with supporting the mission to Poland, please contact me at thepolandpulse@gmail.com and I will get you the forms you will need for a tax deductible donation.

No comments: