Wednesday, August 13, 2008

O'Connell or Jones? Who is the better Adventurer?

I took some time out of my studies to go see the Mummy 3: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor. I have always been a sucker for fun, Saturday afternoon, popcorn movies. This one did NOT disappoint! I must say that I enjoyed this movie MUCH more than Indy 4. This movie had all of the same feel of the previous movies. Plenty of explosions, fight scenes, stupid slapstick humor, great CGI and yes, lots and lots of mummies. It was what you hope a fun summer movie would be. Indy was more nostalgic rather than adventurous. Sorry Indy, I still love you!

Mummy 3 helped itself by using the additions of Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh as the plot takes place in post WWII China. It also had more depth with the one time 10 year old son (Mummy Returns), Alex O'Connell (Luke Ford), now young man who is following in the footsteps of his parents and just like his father. I was sad to see that Rachel Weisz did not reprise her role as Evy (her loss), but Brandon Fraser did not disappoint as he tries to reconcile with his son and save the family!

The themes of family, the importance of a father, marriage and sacrifice for good flowed throughout the plot and I was pleasantly surprised that the writers made the parents heroes who were trying to do the right thing for their children.

It is a movie that I would not mind seeing a few more times. Seeing Indiana Jone 4 for the 2nd time was a chore!

It was a great break from a very busy summer!

1 comment:

diana robbins said...

Sorry Alice, but I do not agree. I could have gone the summer without it or went to the $3 movie to see it. The ending was a disapointment to me. Sorry about that. Go see Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D. That was a fun summer movie.

Mom