Monday, March 12, 2007

You Shall Have No Other gods . . .

On my way to my Polish class I pass the Bacilica. A new statue of John Paul II was errected last year. It is a huge, coppery looking thing and is to the right of the enterance of the church. Candles are always a glow at the foot of this statue. The other day as I was on my way to class I got stopped at the light which is at the same corner. Two girls about the age of 6 or 7 were on their knees with their heads bowed and hands folded. You could tell that they were pleading to whomever they were praying to.

It was a very sad picture for me to see. Here is a new generation who is being raised to love the religion of the Church and who knows if they understand who the SOURCE of that church is. It gave me new passion to work hard to learn this language called Polish. Generations are growing up knowing the religion of "God" but not the PERSON of God. I then started to listen to Pastor Nelson's I Peter sermons again and wondered how many of we prodistants do the same thing as these two little girls. We "pray" to the person or thing that we think can help us but do we go to the ONE who is our only hope?

Are we raising a new generation in America who knows just religion or are we raising them to REALLY KNOW God?

Just something I am thinking about.

No comments: